Saturday, February 13, 2010

Veggie Pot Pie Chowder

This is an adaptation of Regina Campbell recipe I found years ago in Regina's Vegetarian Table. So if you like this one, take a look at that collection, there are lots of good things in it.

Serves 4 to 6



11/4 cups diced potatoes


2 cups sliced mushrooms ( I, since I do not enjoy the fungus, left them out but I thought I would leave them in the recipe I adapted from)


1 cup chopped leeks


1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)


3/4 cup sliced baby carrots


4 tablespoons butter (I used a vegan butter spread)
1/2 cup vegetable broth


1/2 to 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning


(or fines herbes to taste) Freshly ground black pepper Pinch of white pepper Savory salt (or salt)


5 tablespoons flour


2-3 cups lowfat milk or soy milk depending how juicy you want it (I used more vegetable broth)


salt






  1. saute vegetables in 1 tablespoon butter and vegetable
    broth, starting with potatoes, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add
    seasonings, being generous with the Italian seasoning and black
    and white peppers.


  2. melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan
    over medium heat. Do not burn butter. Sprinkle half of the flour
    into melted butter, stirring quickly. Add 2 tablespoons water to
    remaining flour and mix to make a thin paste; set aside. Add the
    milk slowly, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. (Add more
    milk if it is too thick, as it will thicken during baking.)


  3. pour sauce over vegetables and add more salt if necessary.


  4. You can either top this with a piecrust to make a pot pie or serve a more liquid version as chowder. With the chowder I made piecrust crackers to serve with it, which just consisted of pie crust that I added a little kick of pepper to, cut into fun shapes.

  5. If you put a piecrust on top this should fit in a 9x9 square or a 9in pie pan. Bake it at 400 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment